This post is another of a series of excerpts from my book Tin Can Canucks. As the book is still under development these posts should be considered as part of a work in progress. These excerpts are presented as they’ve been developed and may not be in chronological (or any logical) order.
HMCS Yukon Specifications
Draft: 13’ 6″
Displacement: 2380 tons
Laid Down: 25-10-1959
Paid Off: 3-12-1993
Armament: 4 x 3”/50 HA/LA guns, 2 x Limbo ASW mortar, homing torpedoes
The first Canadian warship to carry the name, HMCS Yukon was built by Burrard Dry Dock Ltd. of Vancouver, British Columbia. When she was commissioned she was the third of the Mackenzie-class to enter service with the Royal Canadian Navy.
She sailed from the west coast to Halifax on July 27th, 1963 and would operate out of that port for the next 17 months. On January 5th, 1965 she returned to Esquimalt to exchange crews with fellow Cadillac Destroyer HMCS Ottawa, which had been ordered to transfer to Halifax.
Yukon, sister ship HMCS Mackenzie, and the supply ship HMCS Provider left Esquimalt on May 4th 1970, bound for Japan. The pair of Mackenzie-class destroyers arrived in Hakodate on May 22nd, while their compatriot Provider went instead to Yokosuka. During their deployment they undertook exercises with naval units from Japan, Australia, New Zealand, and the United States. The three Canadian ships also visited the ports of Kobe, Osaka, and Sasebo before returning home to Vancouver Island.
After undergoing a mid-life refit in February of 1975, Yukon was transferred to Training Group Pacific where she took up the role of instructional vessel for Maritime Surface and Sub-surface (MARS) Officers. She underwent her DELEX life extension refit at Barrow Yarrow Inc. in Esquimalt staring May 28th, 1984, and had her hull and machinery repaired to bring her up to as close to as new vessel as practicable. The DELEX also saw replacement of sensor equipment no longer supported or maintained with more up to date equipment, and the addition of a set of lightweight ASW torpedo tubes. Yukon returned to service on January 16th, 1985.
The next year, she was one of three Canadian warships to visit Australia in celebration of the Royal Australian Navy’s 75th Anniversary.
Paid off on December 3rd 1993, Yukon was eventually sold to the San Diego Oceans Foundation. On April 25th, 1999 she was towed from Vancouver, bound for San Diego where it was intended to sink her as a diver’s wreck on July 15th. She would sink at the intended site a day early however, due to rough weather.
 (Barrie & Macpherson, 1996) p. 57
 (Lynch, Twilight of the St Laurents, 1990) p. 189
 (MacPherson & Barrie, Ships of Canada’s Naval Forces: 1910-2002, 2004) p. 259
Featured Image Via:
|© Chris Howell|
Source: Tin Can Canucks